What is an eCommerce website?
An eCommerce website is essentially one that allows a business to list a product or service online and then facilitates the buying process, this includes an electronic transfer of funds from the consumer to the business to finalise the purchase. Though most eCommerce websites are retail stores selling their products online, there are those which are for business services and business-to-business activities like wholesale transactions.
How does an eCommerce website work?
There is no set way that an commerce website must work, this is due to variation in products and services, as well as variation in the platforms used to the build the website. As a general rule of thumb an eCommerce website will enable the following:
- Selection of a product or service by a consumer, which may be added to a cart
- Calculation of the total purchase price
- Option to checkout and specify details required for the business to process the transaction e.g. delivery address
- Processing of an electronic payment via the website using a third party such as Paypal or via a credit card
- Update order once it has been processed by the business (e.g. delivery of goods or service)
If you aren’t already reaping the benefits of an eCommerce site, below are some good reasons to extend your business to include one:
- Increase your market size – not constrained to a local market instead you have the option to operate nationally or internationally
- Operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – unlike a physical store front a website does not have open or close hours
- Increase customer convenience – Customers can make a purchase from the comfort of their home
- Reduce cost of inventory management – website purchases are automated therefore reduction in human hours and labour
- Build brand loyalty – Ability for happy consumers to share product/service through social media
If you’re looking for an eCommerce website, why not give us a call, or request a call back and we’ll help you take the next step.